Disclosure: I received free samples of Sabra mentioned in this post. By posting this recipe I am entering a recipe contest sponsored by Sabra and am eligible to win prizes associated with the contest. I was not compensated for my time.
I've been loving hummus lately. I've mostly be using it as a snack with peppers and carrots so I was excited for this contest to try using it more creative ways. Sabra has a ton of different flavors, all of which are absolutely delicious. This recipe uses the caramelized onion flavor which is probably one of my favorites.
The dipping sauce mimics French Onion Soup broth and adds the perfect amount of moisture and salt. Technically 'au jus' is a sauce made with meat drippings, but I much prefer simple recipes so this recipe simply uses store-bought beef broth.
These sliders are seriously delicious. They work great as sliders for a smaller meal or appetizer or as burgers for something a littler bigger. The Sabra Caramelized Onion Hummus is absolutely amazing and complements the burger so nicely.
Yield: 6 sliders (or 4 burgers)
1 onion, sliced thinly
1.5 Tbsp butter
1/2 tsp ground thyme
1 tsp brown sugar
1/4 cup low sodium beef broth
1 lb grass fed ground beef
1/4 cup Sabra Caramelized Onion Hummus
Au Jus Dipping Sauce:
3 cups low sodium beef broth
1 tsp low sodium soy sauce
2.5 Tbsp flour
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/4 cup sherry
6 small burger buns for sliders (or cut regular sized buns in half)
4 oz gruyere cheese, sliced thinly
6 Tbsp Sabra Caramelized Onion Hummus
lettuce or other toppings of choice
caramelized onions and au jus dipping sauce from above
1. Heat a medium sized non stick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onion, butter, thyme, and brown sugar. After 15 minutes, add 1/4 cup beef broth to help prevent sticking. Cook for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally, or until soft in texture and golden in color.
2. While the onions are cooking, preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a Silpat mat.
3. In a large mixing bowl, combine the ground beef with 1/4 cup hummus. Mix with your hands.
4. Shape the beef mixture into 6 small, 2-inch wide patties. Place on baking sheet.
5. Bake for 8 minutes then flip to the other side.
6. Bake for another 10 minutes or until cooked through or until they reach an internal temperature of 160 degrees. With about 2 minutes left, add a slice of cheese to each burger.
Au Jus Dipping Sauce:
7. While the burgers are cooking, heat the beef broth in a medium sized pot over medium-high heat.
8. Add the soy sauce, garlic powder, and sherry. Add the flour 1/2 Tbsp at a time and whisk until combined.
9. Bring to a simmer and reduce heat to medium-low to keep warm until serving.
10. When the onions, burgers, and sauce are ready, compile the sliders with hummus on either side of each bun, caramelized onions, and any other toppings you choose. Pour dipping sauce in small serving dishes to dip burgers in. Enjoy!